From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] virtual eselect - how to
Date: Wed, 26 Jun 2019 13:51:36
1 On Wednesday, 26 June 2019 14:05:27 BST Helmut Jarausch wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 > what is the relationship of a virtual package and eselect.
4 > E.g.
5 > I have installed openblas but 'eselect blas list' doesn't know about
6 > this.
7
8 I assume it doesn't know about it because there is no eselect module for blas.
11 > I have even modified virtual/blas to include openblas.
12
13 Virtual packages are there to make sure at least one of alternative packages
14 satisfying dependency requirements will be installed. So, some package you
15 installed requires a database. A virtual/<database_required> will be
16 installed to make sure at least one of the database packages to satisfy the
17 dependency requirement is installed.
20 > How does eselect get the list of alternatives?
21 >
22 > Many thanks for a hint,
23 > Helmut
24
25 My understanding is package devs will have to create a corresponding eselect
26 module, in order manage the symlinks for the various versions of said package
27 which are available in the tree at any time.
28
29 In absence of an eselect module, you can create any desired symlinks yourself.
30 I often forget there are so many eselect modules these days. I found myself
31 using rm and 'ln -s' to change profiles, only to recall eselect does this in a
32 single incantation.
35 Regards,
36
37 Mick