From: Joachim Gwoke <joachimgwoke@×××××.com>
To: Gentoo <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] New Install
Date: Sat, 24 Sep 2016 15:29:21
1 There's always this
2 http://www.tecmint.com/gentoo-linux-installation-guide/ with side by side
3 reference to the Gentoo handbook.
4
5 Regards
6 Joachim
7
8 On 24 Sep 2016 6:19 p.m., "Rich Freeman" <rich0@g.o> wrote:
9
10 On Sat, Sep 24, 2016 at 8:13 AM, Christopher Robinson
11 <chrisrobinson@××××××××××.com> wrote:
12 > After the files compile on the Minimal Install CD, I get a command line
13 > prompt.
14 > I assume I need to enter a username and then a password to boot the
15 install,
16 > but I have not succeeded in creating those. What should I do?
19 The step you missed is this one:
20 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/
21 System#Root_password
22
23 If you're at the command prompt inside the chroot then you're already
24 logged in as root. So, you just type "passwd" and enter a new root
25 password. root is your username. You can create additional users
26 using useradd:
27 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Installation/
28 Finalizing#Adding_a_user_for_daily_use
29
30 > Also, I read that it is possible to install Gentoo from the Live DVD.
31 > How do I do that?
32
33 The same way as from the minimal CD. Just open a terminal and follow
34 the handbook.
37 Rich