From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to rebuild gentoo on a somewhat different hardware
Date: Tue, 16 Nov 2010 14:07:07
1 Apparently, though unproven, at 12:06 on Tuesday 16 November 2010, Helmut
2 Jarausch did opine thusly:
3
4 > On 11/16/10 10:56:29, Alan McKinnon wrote:
5 > > Backup your portage related data and re-install.
6 > >
7 > > Seriously - you know you are looking at doing emerge -e world and
8 > > will
9 > > need to
10 > > fiddle stuff to make it complete successfully.
11 > >
12 > > If you just reinstall, put your old world file and /etc/portage/ back
13 > > then let
14 > > portage have at it, that is exactly what will happen. You'll have
15 > > 30-45
16 > > minutes of setup work and a high level of confidence it will complete
17 > > successfully.
18 > >
19 > > Trying to fix the existing installation is potentially many hours of
20 > > poking
21 > > around to see what changed, potentially several goes at running
22 > > emerge
23 > > -e
24 > > world, hair pulling, and you will probably give up and just reinstall
25 > > anyway.
26 > >
27 > > I'm assuming you are looking for the easiest, fastest route to
28 > > success
29 > > with
30 > > the least pain, and that your days of poking into portage to see how
31 > > things
32 > > work for fun are long over.
33 >
34 > Thanks Alan,
35 >
36 > just one more question: where are information like the
37 > current eselect(ions) stored?
38
39 I've never found a place where eselect stores it's info. I suspect it directly
40 reads all the various symlinks off disk when it starts up. If so, this will
41 cause you some extra manual work.
47 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com