From: "J. Roeleveld" <joost@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fileserver with Raid + Crypto + BtrFS
Date: Thu, 12 Nov 2015 06:01:37
1 On 12 November 2015 00:14:15 CET, "Nuno Magalhães" <nunomagalhaes@××××××.pt> wrote:
2 >On Wed, Nov 11, 2015 at 5:09 PM, Ralf
3 ><ralf+gentoo@×××××××××××××××××××.de> wrote:
4 >> So I'm
5 >> thinking about to migrate to Btrfs.
6 >
7 >Have you considered ZFS?
8 >I currently have some disks with {fs}+LVM+RAID1 and others with a ZFS
9 >mirror (no extra disks for ARC or anything), both approaches seem
10 >manageable. To me btrfs still seems "not-ready-yet", but that's just
11 >me.
12 >
13 >Can't offer any real benchmarks, i'm just starting out, but the
14 >correct comparison seems to be btrfs vs ZFS, not btrfs vs fs+LVM+RAID.
15 >
16 >Cheers,
17 >Nuno
18
19 I think for small amount of disks (around 4) btrfs is a better option.
20 For larger amounts (think 10+) ZFS is a better option.
21
22 This is based on the design ideas and due to the lack of a robust raid5+ implementation in btrfs.
23
24 ZFS requires more memory to perform well, compared to other filesystems.
25 I believe btrfs doesn't have this requirement. I don't have any systems with this yet, but am planning on implementing btrfs on desktops and seevers with small amount of disks.
26
27 For the servers with higher disk-counts, I am planning on implementing ZFS.
30 Joost
31 --
32 Sent from my Android device with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.