From: Stroller <stroller@××××××××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Using "root=LABEL=xxxx" in grub.conf
Date: Mon, 09 Feb 2009 22:26:52
1 On 9 Feb 2009, at 18:03, Dirk Heinrichs wrote:
2
3 > Am Montag, 9. Februar 2009 17:51:24 schrieb Stroller:
4 >
5 >> I don't "like" initrd and the longer kernel
6 >> lines in grub.conf that they require.
7 >
8 > Errh, which longer lines in grub.conf?
9 >
10 > Here's mine, as an example:
11 >
12 > title=Gentoo Linux
13 > kernel /vmlinux.gz realroot=/dev/evms/root vga=0x31B notsc
14 >
15 > Quite short and simple, isn't it? You don't even recognize that it
16 > uses an
17 > initramfs (because it's embedded in the kernel itself).
18
19 Am I not correct in thinking that initramfs used to be / can be / was
20 originally a separate file which goes in /boot and is described with
21 an extra boot parameter?
22
23 I wasn't aware that you could embed the initramfs into the kernel
24 itself - after reading Neil's message yesterday I looked up more about
25 the initramfs, contemplated about the idea of doing so and decided
26 "naw, you'll never be able to do that, it would make the kernel too
27 big and take up too much memory".
28
29 I certainly can recognise that you're doing something bogus, because
30 your kernel parameters use "realroot=" and not just "root="
31
32 Stroller.