From: Bill Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: terrible performance with btrfs on LVM2 using a WD 2TB green drive
Date: Wed, 23 Mar 2011 01:59:48
1 On Wed, 2011-03-16 at 08:29 +0800, Bill Kenworthy wrote:
2 > On Tue, 2011-03-15 at 15:26 +0000, James wrote:
3 > > Bill Kenworthy <billk <at> iinet.net.au> writes:
6 > > > I have recently added a WD 2TB green drive to two systems and am finding
7 > > > terrible performance with btrfs on an LVM using these drives.
10 Just some feedback now Ive fixed it. Moved all the valuable data off
11 the lv, dropped the rest and shrunk the vg off the disk. Recreated the
12 partitions using fdisk and restored the lv and btrfs. Only the initial
13 partitioning and the pv were set up specifically 4k aware.
14
15 As a simple benchmark using dirvish to backup in the same fashion as I
16 was previously, time went from 18-19 minutes down to just over 3 minutes
17 - ~6 time speedup, same times as on older disks using reiserfs. I feel
18 reiserfs is a little faster at this, but not by much and no solid
19 figures as too much has changed.
20
21 I'm happy!
22