From: Andrea Conti <alyf@××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Fine Tuning NTP Server
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 10:22:38
1 Hello,
2
3 > server tick.nrc.ca minpoll 64 maxpoll 1024 iburst prefer
4
5 Ouch! minpoll and maxpoll should be specified as the log2 of the actual
6 value, i.e. 6 and 10. Those are the defaults anyway.
7
8 > disable auth
9 > broadcastclient
10 > server ntp.server.com prefer
11
12 This looks fine to me; although configuring a broadcast association when
13 your clients also have a unicast association to the same server seems a
14 bit pointless, this should not cause any harm.
15
16 I think you should first try to fix your server config and see if
17 getting a proper sync on the server also solves the problem with the
18 clients.
19
20 > As for /etc/conf.d/ntpd, we have set nothing. To be honest I did not
21 > even know the file
22 > existed till you mentioned it:
23 >
24 > NTPD_OPTS="-u ntp:ntp"
25
26 That is where you put the commandline options you want ntpd to be
27 started with.
28
29 > I would have liked to be better prepared for this but the gentoo wiki
30 > page has been down for a few weeks now. We are not looking for
31 > microsecond synchronization however, down to the second would be nice!
32
33 I doubt you can consistently achieve microsecond-level synchronization
34 with NTP ;)
35
36 The official documentation of the ntp suite [1] is a good source of
37 information; the man pages of ntpd and ntp.conf are also quite
38 extensive, albeit a bit terse.
39
40 andrea
41