From: kashani <kashani-list@××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] virtualbox + kernel panic 2.6.38-r2
Date: Tue, 31 May 2011 19:58:24
1 On 5/31/2011 12:11 PM, Tanstaafl wrote:
2 > On 2011-05-31 1:31 PM, James wrote:
3 >> The only thing I've read online that may be applicable is that there
4 >> have been some issues with kernel panics when you give the guest OS
5 >> more than 1 processor. It would suck badly if SMP didn't work well on
6 >> vbox.
7 >
8 > My understanding is it is a general rule that you never give any VM more
9 > than one processor, regardless of which vm hypervisor you are running...
12 If SMP in VMs were that much of a problem then EC2 and the rest of the
13 clouds would be useless. I'd go so far as to say if you're not
14 oversubscribing your physical CPUs by handing them out multiple times to
15 your VMs you're leaving half of your infrastructure underutilized.
16
17 That said vbox has never been completely stable for me in any
18 configuration and I usually reboot my laptop once a week. I am running
19 4.0.8 with a Gentoo guest (2.6.36-r5) using 2 CPUs. I haven't noticed
20 any changes in stability since making the change to SMP last month.
21 However there have been at least two SMP guest fixes in the 4.x version.
22
23 kashani