From: R0b0t1 <r030t1@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Easiest way to block domains?
Date: Wed, 30 Aug 2017 23:29:38
1 On Wed, Aug 30, 2017 at 9:59 AM, Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Wednesday, 30 August 2017 15:42:47 BST Ian Zimmerman wrote:
3 >> On 2017-08-30 09:32, Mick wrote:
4 >> > > Unfortunately this isn't a viable strategy because typically you
5 >> > > will, in a few months, if not a single month, spend more in
6 >> > > electricity costs than you would purchasing a new single board
7 >> > > computer.
8 >> >
9 >> > Perhaps in a commercial 24x7x365 high compute cycle application this
10 >> > would hold water, but in the case of a home PC running 14 hours a day
11 >> > at maximum power you might save enough to buy a small spinning SATA
12
13 Only recent hardware is actually any good at frequency scaling, or
14 adjusting power consumption when frequency scaling. If the processor
15 saves 10W that's nice but the rest of the computer might still be
16 using 50-100W idle.
17
18 >> > drive after a year, or a Raspberry Pi without peripherals, but not a
19 >> > new PC. Of course, if:
20 >> >
21 >> > 1. your PC is not running at full speed all the time;
22 >> > 2. it is not a PentiumD dual core (were they the most power hungry?);
23 >> > 3. you're not still running a CRT monitor;
24 >> > 4. you tend to suspend to RAM when not in front of it;
25 >> > 5. a new PC is not at least 50% more efficient;
26 >> > 6. the price of electricity is not exorbitant (I pay approximately
27 >> > £0.13/KWh + £0.29/day)
28 >> >
29 >> > then you will need other reasons to upgrade. When the PC you're using
30 >> > is a laptop, then the case for upgrading on grounds of savings on
31 >> > electricity costs alone is even more tenuous.
34 I think it is useful to talk about absolute cost vs. relative cost.
35 The absolute cost is likely low enough you don't care, and if so
36 that's fine, I understand. The relative cost of running a single board
37 computer as opposed to modern desktop is something like 100x cheaper,
38 or two orders of magnitude (~2.5W vs. ~120W). Older desktops fare less
39 favorably and may be 200-500x more power hungry.
40
41 >> Also: how long is the replacement going to last? Anything with flash as
42 >> the main storage will be back at the recycling station (ideally) within
43 >> a couple of years. This includes all the consumer routers I've ever
44 >> had, including the beloved blue Linksys.
47 Flash storage lasts far longer than that in practice. How often do you
48 upgrade a router?
49
50 Even the very inexpensive flash (10k to 100k write cycles) in
51 microcontrollers tends to never reach its useful lifespan even when
52 those parts are used for development; that is, receiving 10-20 updates
53 a day for a few months (worst case ~1% of useful lifespan, more
54 typically ~0.1% of useful lifespan or less).
55
56 > With consumer grade router/modems I've found the capacitors are of a low
57 > rating and therefore within a few years (or sooner if your area experiences
58 > brown outs and power cuts/surges) they give up the ghost. Replacing the
59 > capacitors in their power supply and sometimes a couple of their internal
60 > capacitors with capacitors of a higher rating for just a few cents, by passes
61 > this built-in obsolescence and extends their useful life for quite a few more
62 > years.
63
64 I haven't noticed anything similar but I do not recommend Netgear
65 products anymore. The TP-LINK router I purchased has been in use for a
66 few years and has fared favorably.
67
68 These failures seem to be related to "abusing" the router. If you keep
69 it relatively uncovered in a livable space it will do fine. If you put
70 it outside in a shelter it will not. I do not necessarily agree that
71 computers should be designed to operate at *only* 25C STP (your
72 livingroom) but that is the current state of the market.
73
74 R0b0t1.