From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo video camera security system
Date: Mon, 15 Sep 2008 14:38:18
1 Grant <emailgrant <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > I'd like to use 2 or more video cameras to monitor 2 locations over
5 > the internet. Each of the locations has a Gentoo desktop running
6 > 24/7, and they are on the same local network. Zoneminder looks very
7 > powerful, but is there something simpler that I wouldn't have to set
8 > up mysql for? How would you select cameras for this? USB, ethernet,
9 > wireless? I like the idea of a camera that doesn't run its own
10 > software and instead relies on the Gentoo system for that, but I think
11 > that will limit me to USB and it's 15-foot cable maximum?
12
13 Hello Grant,
14
15 First off, the amount of bandwidth consumption by the streaming video,
16 is of paramount concern. The bandwidth consumption between the different
17 technologies is HUGH.
18
19 Currently, the most efficient algorithms for video compression, is the
20 new H.264 (aka Mpeg4-AVC). For Video surveillance, use the simple profile.
21
22 I can run 2 video cameras at about 10 frames per second over a 56Kbit
23 Frame Relay circuit (with full CIR).
24
25 I believe the closest thing for Gentoo would be an offering by vlc
26 or x.264. Go find the ffmpeg dev lists and see what is the latest
27 thing that is recommended (currently supported). Most folks that
28 are successful with this, are embedding their solution into a product
29 for sale. You have to really dig to find a workable, open source
30 solution. Maybe there is something else, but, I'll bet it's a
31 bandwidth pig. H.264 is very asymmetrical. It requires tons of
32 processor resource to encode, but not so bad on the decode end.
33 The profile details that a particular project (or vendor0 uses is
34 often a well guarded (trade) secret.
35
36 Alternatively, you can purchase a 4 channel encoder that accepts NTSC
37 (or PAL) camera inputs and streams to a windows based PC. You set
38 an ip address and gateway and away you go, totally routable.
39 A simple setup will set you back about ~1K.
40
41 Zoneminder does not support h.264 (the last time I checked ...months
42 ago). It good for a campus setup, but if you are going to route
43 (stream) video across a WAN (or the Internet) H.264 is the best
44 solution. Robust and reliable. Stay away from "ip cameras"; no
45 standards and all technology is closed to inquiring minds...
46
47 Use H.264 in your keyword searches....
50 hth,
51 James