From: Michael Crute <mcrute@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] new 2 gentoo
Date: Fri, 16 Sep 2005 17:05:55
1 On 9/16/05, Mario Carugno <mcarugno@×××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi there, i'm curious about Gentoo. Installation needs some compilation ?
4 > I ask because i want to try Gentoo on an old 40MB Pentium I / 120mhz, and
5 > if
6 > some compilation is needed, i could forget it.
7 > Is Gentoo suited for such old computers ?
8 > Thank you all.
11 If you have the patience go for it. A machine that old isn't good for too
12 much except perhaps a router or simple home networking server but for those
13 applications it should do really well. The trick to doing this though is to
14 have a much faster machine where you can do all the compilation and then
15 copy it over to the slower computer.
16 I just finished doing something like this. You have to have a decent sized
17 hard drive in a fast computer then create a directory on your disk, unzip an
18 official stage into it, chroot yourself inside that directory and do the
19 Gentoo install as if you where working on the slow computer. Be careful to
20 make sure you set all your compiler options and use flags etc... up for the
21 P1 and not the faster computer. Once you have the system setup exactly the
22 way you want it take snapshot of the folder (I just made a tbz2 archive).
23 Then you will need to format and partition the disk on the P1 and unzip your
24 new "stage" onto the drive. Install your favorite bootloader and reboot.
25 Very simple. Then you can either toss your chrooted system on your fast
26 computer or use it as a build environment to make binary packages for the
27 old system.
28 The whole point is that I would never, ever, compile that much software on
29 an old machine due to how much time you will sit around waiting for it to
30 finish (think weeks). But what you want to do is very doable and kind of fun
31 once you get it done. Perhaps I have a sick concept of fun but its neat to
32 make use of old hardware that nothing better that Win 3.1 would run on.
33 -Mike
37 Michael E. Crute
38 Software Developer
39 SoftGroup Development Corporation
40
41 Linux, because reboots are for installing hardware.
42 "In a world without walls and fences, who needs windows and gates?"