From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: reiserfschk stops boot but reports nothing
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 2006 22:25:51
1 Peter <pete4abw@×××××××.net> writes:
2
3 > On Sat, 11 Mar 2006 09:58:55 -0600, Harry Putnam wrote:
4 >
5 > all snip...
6 >
7 > Here's what I would do. Boot off a floppy or livecd.
8 > Then, do NOT mount your root drive (/dev/hdb6) you may have a problem
9 > with. run
10
11 Maybe I'm just not understanding your terminology here but /dev/hdb6
12 is not a root drive. It isn't even a system drive at all like /usr
13 /var etc.
16 > reiserfsck --check /dev/hdb6
17
18 Yes .. this exits silently and further leaving out --check does
19 exactly the same thing anyway.
20
21 > and see what pops up. If you get a message to run fix-fixable, then follow
22 > those directions.
23
24 Nothing pops up. I even ran --fix-fixable to see if anything would
25 happen. It did not.
26
27 > It could be as simple as not shutting down properly or having had to
28 > reboot without shutting down at all. A status bit is set on the drive
29 > which tells fsck that it was not shutdown properly. Reiser is unique in
30 > that it can't really check the root partition carefully because it is
31 > always mounted read-only when it checks it.
32
33 If that were it wouldn't it disappear after reiserfchk?
34
35 > But definitely, you need to boot off a different medium to fix this.
36
37 I'm not following this. Maybe you thought it was / ? Or am I missing
38 an important part of this?
39
40 It is /anex2 a disk I keep backups of some stuff on. Mostly rsync
41 writes to it during an rsnapshot run.
42
43 Shouldn't I be able to just umount it and get the same results as if
44 checking from separate media?
45 I can do what you suggest easily so not arguing against it, just not
46 understanding whey it would be different than the reported
47 umount followed by reiserfsck /dev/hdb6 that exits silently.
48
49 On further investigation:
50 I'm finding it exits with exit code 16 which is supposed to mean a
51 syntax error... now I'm really puzzled:
52
53 umount /dev/hdb6 <no output>
54
55 mount /anex2 <no output but a pause of about 1 second>
56 # echo $?
57 0
58
59 df -h
60 [...]
61 /dev/hdb6 47G 12G 35G 26% /anex2
62
63 umount /anex2
64
65 # reiserfsck --check /dev/hdb6
66 reiserfsck 3.6.19 (2003 www.namesys.com)
67
68 *************************************************************
69 ** If you are using the latest reiserfsprogs and it fails **
70 ** please email bug reports to reiserfs-list@×××××××.com, **
71 ** providing as much information as possible -- your **
72 ** hardware, kernel, patches, settings, all reiserfsck **
73 ** messages (including version), the reiserfsck logfile, **
74 ** check the syslog file for any related information. **
75 ** If you would like advice on using this program, support **
76 ** is available for $25 at www.namesys.com/support.html. **
77 *************************************************************
78
79 Will read-only check consistency of the filesystem on /dev/hdb6
80 Will put log info to 'stdout'
81
82 Do you want to run this program?[N/Yes] (note need to type Yes if you
83 do): yes <enter>
84
85 echo $?
86 16
87
88 >From man reiserfsck [emphisis added -hp]:
89 EXIT CODES
90 reiserfsck uses the following exit codes:
91 0 - No errors.
92 1 - File system errors corrected.
93 2 - Reboot is needed.
94 4 - File system fatal errors left uncorrected,
95 reiserfsck --rebuild-tree needs to be launched.
96 6 - File system fixable errors left uncorrected,
97 reiserfsck --fix-fixable needs to be launched.
98 8 - Operational error.
99 *** 16 - Usage or syntax error.
104 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list