From: thegeezer <thegeezer@×××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Usb over Ethernet: The rise and fall of one usb0 ;)
Date: Wed, 19 Nov 2014 18:04:27
1 On 19/11/14 18:00, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
2 > thegeezer <thegeezer@×××××××××.net> [14-11-19 18:40]:
3 >> On 19/11/14 17:34, meino.cramer@×××.de wrote:
4 >>> Hi,
5 >>>
6 >>> the little Linux board Arietta G25 has a ethernet over usb feature --
7 >>> no real PHY, no RJ45 plug/jack.
8 >>>
9 >>> The board is not permanently connected to my PC.
10 >>> Both are running Gentoo.
11 >>>
12 >>> When I connect the Arietta board to my PC via USB
13 >>> its boots up...and get no connection to my PC, since
14 >>> I have to do a
15 >>>
16 >>> ifconfig usb0 <IP-addr>
17 >>>
18 >>> to fire up usb0.
19 >>>
20 >>> Thats far too late for things like ntp_client, dhcp etc,
21 >>> while already have timed out.
22 >>>
23 >>> What is the correct way to automated this: Fire up
24 >>> the usb0 interface in that moment a device is recognized
25 >>> to have a ethernet over usb interface?
26 >>>
27 >>> Thank you very much in advance for any help!
28 >>>
29 >>> Best regards,
30 >>> Meino
31 >>>
32 >>>
33 >>>
34 >>>
35 >> https://www.gentoo.org/doc/en/handbook/handbook-x86.xml?part=4&chap=1
38 > Hi thegeezer,
39 >
40 > thanks for the link! :)
41 >
42 > Will usb0 start even if there is no connection to a device,
43 > which is equipped with such interface?
44 >
45 > Best regards,
46 > Meino
52 yes it will start. if you want you can look at ifplug/netplug that
53 basically half-starts the interface and then starts it properly when the
54 cable is connected.
55 this is useful if you have multiple routes over multiple nics but
56 probably not so useful in your case