From: Tanstaafl <tanstaafl@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] fdisk warnings during install; questions
Date: Fri, 10 May 2013 13:31:40
1 On 2013-05-10 6:00 AM, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 > On Fri, 10 May 2013 11:44:54 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
3 >> Reading between the lines shows Walter doesn't want to use fdisk to deal
4 >> with a GPT disk.
5 >>
6 >> He has a regular partitioned disk that was once GPT, and some remnants
7 >> of that are left around confusing fdisk. He wants the remnants to go
8 >> away and needs to know what bit of the disk to dd and make that happen.
9 >>
10 >> I don't know the answer to that.
11
12 > That's not quite how I read it, but... gdisk has an option to completely
13 > erase both GPT and DOS partition tables. Why anyone would choose to use
14 > the ultra-kludged DOS partition tables when GPT is so much more elegant is
15 > beyond me, unless they have old hardware that can't read a GPT disk.
16
17 If there are problems with fdisk and/or good reasons that it shouldn't
18 be used anymore on modern hardware (what about in a virtual
19 environment?), maybe the Gentoo Handbook could use some updating? I just
20 recently set up a new VM on ESXi, and the Handbook still uses (and by
21 implication recommends the use of) fdisk for the setting up your
22 partitions steps.