From: Philip Webb <purslow@×××××××××.ca>
To: Gentoo User <gentoo-user@l.g.o>
Subject: [gentoo-user] switching to LCD monitor
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2005 08:29:17
1 LCD monitors have come down to within my price range
2 & while my present CRT monitor has no problems,
3 it has occurred to me that if it did go on the blink,
4 I would buy an LCD to replace it & anyway might do so eg in 2006.
5 The model which looks best today is a Samsung 713V 17" at CAD 299
6 (my present 5-year-old CRT monitor is a Samsung 550s 15" ).
7
8 I use Xorg & plan to go over to Udev in the near future;
9 presumably with Udev, I would also have Hot/Coldplug installed.
10
11 I recall that when I installed Gentoo 031005 ,
12 I had to copy manually the monitor lines from my previous box,
13 which was running Mandrake, in order to get the monitor to work properly.
14 Without a working screen, there's no way I could do that this time.
15
16 My question to anyone who can advise is this:
17 do I just unplug the CRT & plug in the LCD ? will it work so simply ?
18 If not, what more is needed ?
19
20 I looked at the Gentoo forum, wiki & dox, but found nothing to help.
24 SUPPORT ___________//___, Philip Webb : purslow@××××××××××××××.ca
25 ELECTRIC /] [] [] [] [] []| Centre for Urban & Community Studies
26 TRANSIT `-O----------O---' University of Toronto
27 --
28 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list