From: Edward M <edwardunix@××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] why media-libs are needed for an email client.
Date: Sun, 29 Dec 2013 11:53:29
1 On Sun, 29 Dec 2013 11:08:03 +0000
2 Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com> wrote:
3
4 > On Sunday 29 Dec 2013 01:38:57 Edward M wrote:
5 >
6 > > > So maybe KDE is pulling in something.
7 > >
8 > > I guess I will continue using
9 > > claws-mail,since i only send text emails.
10 > > Thanks for new options i was not aware.
11 >
12 > I'm guessing that KDE uses phonon to play sound notifications, e.g.
13 > when you get a new message in your kmail Inbox, which requires
14 > gstreamer and friends.
15
16 Since I only use lxde as my DE and I
17 don't have anything from KDE installed, I was getting little
18 confuse,as to why those media-libs were needed, but now with these
19 two replies I received. it is making more sense. So basically
20 kmail needs media-libs that KDE uses so it can play sound
21 notifications, even though i'm using another DE instead of KDE?
24 > Kmail does not play anything inside messages. When you click on an
25 > attachment it will ask you to save it or open it with the default
26 > application, depending on the mime type of the attachment.
27
28 Now i know, thanks.