From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Disk Labels in Handbook
Date: Thu, 10 Feb 2011 12:33:03
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
2 > On Thu, 10 Feb 2011 12:00:24 +0200, Petri Rosenström wrote:
5 >> If you use vi(m) you don't have to type too much neither. Just use
6 >> :r!blkid /dev/sda in vi(m) and you have the UUID, with some additional
7 >> information, but the rest is just vi(m) magic.
8 >>
9 > None of which makes fstab any more readable. UUIDs are the worst option
10 > in this respect, although they do allow disks to be moved around.
11 > Filesystem labels are the best option for readability and not only do
12 > they allow disks to be moved but also individual filesystems.
15 When I switched mine, I looked into the UUID option but never could
16 figure out how to tell which is what. I have /boot, /, /home, /portage
17 and /var but how do you get it to tell you the number for say /home? Of
18 all the stuff I read, I never did find that.
19
20 I agree tho, using the plain labels are easier to understand. Even I
21 got that right. ;-)
22
23 Dale
24