From: Andrew Udvare <audvare@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo on Apple TV 1
Date: Fri, 31 Aug 2018 21:11:02
1 On 8/31/18 2:41 PM, Mick wrote:
2 >
3 > What I have not fathomed yet is how to compile into the mach_kernel the
4 > vmlinuz and initrd the boot.efi uses to boot linux. :-/
7 (Note that I am making assumptions that the Apple TV 1st gen can be
8 treated kind of like a Mac.)
9
10 You probably should try rEFInd to help. You can get rid of it once you
11 are comfortable. rEFInd can be avoided:
12
13 https://glandium.org/blog/?p=2830
14
15 This is what I used years back on a MacBook Pro but I was not successful
16 in getting an EFI stub to boot correctly. The issue was a bug with USB
17 2/3 initialisation or something at the time in the kernel, which you
18 probably won't run into. I had to use the BIOS emulation which you might
19 have the ability to do. So it was rEFInd -> BIOS emulation (calls it
20 Windows) -> LILO (GRUB didn't work) and then Linux.
21
22 Here is what it looked like (holding C at boot time):
23 https://i.imgtc.com/jjBY8AF.jpg (OS is macOS, "Windows" CD in the
24 picture was just Gentoo live CD).
25
26 Your problem can be made simpler if you have a) no desire to dual-boot
27 and b) no disk encryption. This would mean you only have your VFAT
28 partition for EFI and your main partition.
31 Andrew