From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How's the openrc update going for everyone?
Date: Sat, 14 May 2011 07:41:40
1 On Fri, 13 May 2011 07:19:35 -0700 (PDT), BRM wrote:
2
3 > KDE did seem to drop the ball a bit with their management of the
4 > transition from KDE3 to KDE4.
5
6 There's no doubt it could have been a lot better. The problem was that it
7 was based on their prediction that 4.0 would be a dev release while 4.1
8 would be usable, it wasn't.
9
10 > Okay - that's not entirely KDE's problem; though it would have helped a
11 > long way with the KDE4 transition if they kept a few people working on
12 > those issues.
13
14 How would you feel if you were a KDE dev told "we're all going to play
15 with the cool new toys now, but we want you to stay here and look
16 after the boring musty old stuff."? It would be bad enough if you were
17 being paid for it.
18
19 > The big issue is that in moving to sole development of KDE4, distros
20 > started to drop KDE3 and replace it with KDE4. For example, Kubuntu
21 > 8.04 TLS dropped KDE3 and used KDE4 long before KDE4 was really user
22 > worthy - long before KDE was calling it user worthy.
23
24 I think that says more about Ubuntu than KDE, after all ,they'd done a
25 similar thing with GNOME/Unity now.
26
27 > But KDEs actions
28 > of moving sole development to KDE4 prompted most distributions to do
29 > likewise.
30
31 Many distros, especially the enterprise focussed ones like SUSE, kept 3.5
32 around for quite a while.
33
34 > Had they kept a small team working on at least the build issues until
35 > KDE4 reached 4.3 then the transition would have likely gone a lot
36 > smoother.
37
38 True, but no one expected it to take that long to get ready, and
39 diverting resources to look after 3.5 would have meant it taking even
40 longer.
41
42 > > So install a distro that still supports KDE3 if that's what you want
43 > > or need. KDE 3.5.10 is still there, it hasn't been withdrawn from the
44 > > shelves. You're hardly likely to use Gentoo for such users, so lack
45 > > of core support for 3.5 in Gentoo is not an issue either.
48 > While I am not personally interested in it, please name one.
49 >
50 > Gentoo doesn't support KDE3 any more. You have to go to Trinity to get
51 > the newer, forked KDE3 series. Last I heard they were equivalent to a
52 > 3.5.12 or so; but I haven't seen anything on the Desktop list for a
53 > while about Trinity.
54 >
55 > Needless to say, you may be very hard pressed to find a modern,
56 > up-to-date distribution that offers KDE3 support.
57
58 If it defaulted to KDE 3.5, it would be neither modern nor up to date.
59 But at the time of the transition, when KDE4 was still too flakey for
60 many, there were several - openSUSE for one.
64 Neil Bothwick
65
66 Can vegetarians eat animal crackers?