From: Alan McKinnon <alan@××××××××××××××××.za>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] dhcpcd won't run at certain network points
Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2007 15:09:41
1 Hi all,
2
3 Why am I always the one to get the wierd hardware issues? Here's my
4 latest. The powers that be at work made me move my desk, and dhcpcd on
5 *this* laptop doesn't work at *this* network point, or any of the other
6 four in this row of desks, althought hey work OK on Windows. It's most
7 certainly a cabling issue, I can go to the server room and plug a
8 flylead into the *same*port* on the switch and it all works right. A
9 static ip isn't an easy option as I move between different networks and
10 don't want to have to keep editing resolv.conf. I'm not allowed to do
11 my first reaction, which is to swap my outlet with a working one...
12
13 tcpdump shows me this when I insert the network cable:
14 16:11:06.855229 IP 0.0.0.0.bootpc > 255.255.255.255.bootps: BOOTP/DHCP,
15 Request [|bootp]
16 repeated 6 more times then it times out
17
18 With a static ip, I do get full bandwidth, error free, just like it
19 should be. So whatever this cabling issue is, it affects only bootp...
20
21 hardware: Dell Latitude D810:
22 NIC: 02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Broadcom Corporation NetXtreme BCM5751
23 Gigabit Ethernet PCI Express (rev 01)
24 kernel module: tg3
25 kernel version: 2.6.20-gentoo[-r1]
26 /etc/conf.d/net: empty (i.e. default)
27
28 I would use google, if only I could think of a remotely meaningful
29 search string :-) The hdcpcd docs and kernel module docs are not very
30 enlightening. And the DHCP server is a Windows domain controller.
31
32 Anyone know of a dhcpcd or tg3 module option that will provoke this
33 network to give me what it should?
34 --
35 Optimists say the glass is half full,
36 Pessimists say the glass is half empty,
37 Developers say wtf is the glass twice as big as it needs to be?
38
39 Alan McKinnon
40 alan at linuxholdings dot co dot za
41 +27 82, double three seven, one nine three five
42 --
43 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list