From: Pandu Poluan <pandu@××××××.info>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo on a Dell XPS 13 Ultrabook
Date: Mon, 05 Mar 2012 02:21:48
1 On Mar 5, 2012 5:39 AM, "Grant" <emailgrant@×××××.com> wrote:
4 > So fdisk used to enforce a block 63 start point and now it enforces a
5 > 2048 start point? fdisk is the one doing this?
6 >
7 > - Grant
10 Yes. Like I posted before (and explained in the article I linked), if you
11 turn off the compatibility mode, you can push it down to 63.
12
13 Not recommended, though. Not only will you lose compatibility with Windows,
14 but also you'll only gain slightly less than 1MiB. And who knows in the
15 future something absofuckinlutely requires the first partition to begin at
16 sector 2048.
17
18 So, IMO, disabling the DOS compatibility gives one too small a gain that's
19 worth the (possible) headache in the future.
20
21 Rgds,