From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] SSDs, swap, caching, other unusual uses
Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 18:19:54
1 Something that's been tickling my brain for a couple years now, and
2 you guys are probably the right ones to ask.
3
4 I haven't dropped coin for an SSD (yet), but I was wondering about
5 uses for them beyond using them for / or /home.
6
7 1) What about sitting swap (partition, file, whatever) on the SSD?
8 Presumably, in scenarios where expanding the RAM in a system is
9 prohibitively expensive, an SSD could reduce the impact of swap
10 thrash.
13 2) While my system rarely goes above using 2-2.5GB of RAM, I enjoy
14 having 6-8GB of RAM, just for the file cache. Of course, I lose that
15 when I reboot; the cache needs to be repopulated. Has there been any
16 work in the kernel for doing things like Vista/Win7's ReadyBoost?
17 ReadyBoost has a ridiculous limit to only using 4GB of a flash drive,
18 but I'd think that an 80GB SSD would be a massive performance
19 improvement.
20
21 Obviously, for something like Gentoo, putting an SSD-based filesystem
22 under /var/tmp makes a lot of sense, but what other uses have been
23 tried? How'd they work out?
26 :wq