From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: After /usr conflation: why not copy booting software to /sbin rather than initramfs?
Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2012 03:11:20
1 Canek Peláez Valdés wrote:
2 > On Wed, Mar 28, 2012 at 7:53 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >> Alan Mackenzie wrote:
4 >>
5 >>> Incidentally, dracut says it won't work on a kernel without modules. I
6 >>> don't know if it's true or not.
7 >>>
8 >>
9 >> Oh really? I don't use modules and I am the one having issues with not
10 >> being able to su to root from a user. I wonder if that is related
11 >> somehow. o_O
12 >
13 > I don't use modules either (except scsi_wait_scan.ko; you cannot get
14 > rid of that one), I use dracut, and I can su just fine.
15 >
16 > Dale, can you please post the dracut comand you used to create your
17 > initramfs? Also, the DRACUT_MODULES you have defined, and the contents
18 > of /etc/dracut.conf?
19 >
20 > Not being able to su sounds incredible weird.
21 >
22 > Regards.
25 Here is one:
26
27 root@fireball / # cat /etc/dracut.conf
30 # Sample dracut config file
36 logfile=/var/log/dracut.log
39 fileloglvl=6
45 # Exact list of dracut modules to use. Modules not listed here are not
46 going
47
48 # to be included. If you only want to add some optional modules use
51 # add_dracutmodules option instead.
54 #dracutmodules+=""
60 # Dracut modules to omit
63 #omit_dracutmodules+=""
67 # Dracut modules to add to the default
68 #add_dracutmodules+="lvm fstab-sys usrmount"
69
70 # additional kernel modules to the default
71 #add_drivers+=""
72
73 # list of kernel filesystem modules to be included in the generic initramfs
74 filesystems+="ext2 reiserfs ext3"
75
76 # build initrd only to boot current hardware
77 #hostonly="yes"
78 #
79
80 # install local /etc/mdadm.conf
81 mdadmconf="yes"
82
83 # install local /etc/lvm/lvm.conf
84 lvmconf="yes"
85
86 # A list of fsck tools to install. If it's not specified, module's hardcoded
87 # default is used, currently: "umount mount /sbin/fsck* xfs_db xfs_check
88 # xfs_repair e2fsck jfs_fsck reiserfsck btrfsck". The installation is
89 # opportunistic, so non-existing tools are just ignored.
90 #fscks=""
91
92 # inhibit installation of any fsck tools
93 #nofscks="yes"
94 root@fireball / #
95
96 +++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
97
98 The command I use is:
99
100 dracut /boot/initramfs-<kernel version here>
101
102 I name each one according to kernel versions. I try to keep a few back
103 up kernels in case one gets borked or something. It makes cleaning
104 easier if I know which files belong to what. Anyway.
105
106 I also looked back at the log for the last build. The only thing I
107 found that may resemble a error would be it skipping file systems that I
108 don't have installed or built into the kernel, in other words, things I
109 don't use to begin with. I didn't see it complain about anything
110 missing or broken.
111
112 I agree it is weird that su to root doesn't work. I have not been able
113 to find anything related with SP, read as Google replacement search tool
114 www.startpage.com since Google got nosey. lol From what I have read,
115 it shouldn't matter but I can boot with the init thingy and it fails
116 everytime. When I boot without the init thingy, it works fine. Weird
117 is a good word to describe it.
118
119 I noticed dracut just got updated. I have dracut-017-r3 installed now.
120
121 I may stick a small drive in my old rig, x86, and try to figure this
122 mess out on it. Maybe try putting /usr and /var on LVM and really make
123 a mess of things. lol
124
125 Dale
126
130 I am only responsible for what I said ... Not for what you understood or
131 how you interpreted my words!
132
133 Miss the compile output? Hint:
134 EMERGE_DEFAULT_OPTS="--quiet-build=n"