From: Daniel da Veiga <danieldaveiga@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What on Earth is Portage doing for so long?
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 2006 14:20:49
1 On 3/17/06, Bruno Lustosa <bruno.lists@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On 3/17/06, Thomas T. Veldhouse <veldy@×××××.net> wrote:
3 > > I see that portage is updating its cache for about 20 minutes these
4 > > days!!! This is on an Athlon 600MHz box with 384MB PC133.
5 > >
6 > > >>> Updating Portage cache: 50%
7 > >
8 > > Just trying to do a sync ....
9 >
10 > Good question :)
11 > But one way to speed this up is to use CDB, so that instead of keeping
12 > cache in separate files, it's all in one, resulting in a *much* faster
13 > cache update.
14 > There are directions here:
15 >
16 > http://gentoo-wiki.com/TIP_speed_up_portage_with_cdb
19 New versions of portage are using a different approuch on metadata and
20 cache, after sync'ng, a week later it took like 1 minute to update the
21 cache with the new version.
22
23 My advice, update portage, "emerge --metadata", wait for it to finish
24 (yes, will take a LOT of time, your machine is below 1GHz, wich will
25 slow it even more), but in the end, you'll update much faster. CDB is
26 just a workaround and you can't use it with the most recent version of
27 portage.
30 Daniel da Veiga
31 Computer Operator - RS - Brazil
39 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list