From: "Pe'ter
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [ot] Correct Setup for DVDRAM
Date: Wed, 08 Oct 2008 07:31:15
1 Hi,
2
3 Simon wrote:
4
5 > Another way might be to use a read-writable media for storing the fs
6 > table. Possibly, using a modified ext2fs which would transparently work
7 > like a real ext2fs, a tool like rsync could be used to make true
8 > incremental backups using the hard-links trick. ...
9
10 I am not very good in these things, however I wonder what are you
11 meaning under "hard-links trick" in this case.
12
13 I have thought about several possible kind of backup strategy for
14 private purposes. Once I got the idea to use hard-links for incremental
15 backup on a large enough external hard drive. All the backups are in
16 directories by their date. While creating a backup a file is hard linked
17 and not copied if it exists in the last backup and have not changed
18 since that.
19
20 I don't know if this trick is in use by any already existing program. Do
21 you or anybody else know such tools?
22
23 Peter