From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: How does Gentoo deal with GCC's header fixes?
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2010 21:30:55
1 On Thu, 9 Sep 2010 21:17:52 +0200, Alan McKinnon wrote:
2
3 > > hm, I never recompile glibc after a header update.... or anything
4 > > else....
7 > Me neither :-)
8 >
9 > I know I should, and why. But don't.
10 >
11 > I think the glibc and toolchain devs think the same way and go to
12 > extraordinary lengths to make sure stuff still works no matter hwo you
13 > go about it.
14
15 The elog message says nothing about anything stopping working.
16
17 Kernel headers are usually only used when recompiling your system libc, as
18 such, following the installation of newer headers, it is advised that you
19 re-merge your system libc.
20 Failure to do so will cause your system libc to not make use of newer
21 features present in the updated kernel headers.
22
23 So your system may not be quite as good as it could be if you don't
24 recompile glibc. My view is that it does no harm to recompile it and, all
25 else being equal, I prefer to follow the advice from the devs.
29 Neil Bothwick
30
31 Sleep is an excellent way of listening to an opera. - James Stephens