From: Timur Aydin <ta@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Forwarding bug in kernel 3.14.1 and 3.14.2
Date: Mon, 05 May 2014 10:58:24
1 Hi,
2
3 To all folks that use their gentoo linux PC as their internet
4 router/gateway, don't upgrade your kernel to 3.14.1 or 3.14.2.
5
6 These versions have a bug related to IP packet forwarding. Internet
7 upload speed for the NAT clients gets extremely slow (in the order of
8 10Kbps), which download speed remain unaffected. I have spent the entire
9 weekend trying to debug the slow upload issue. I tried different NIC's,
10 different cables, different clients etc, problem was still occurring.
11 Upload/download from the Gentoo linux PC is fine, but any NAT client
12 exhibits the slow upload speed problem. I also suspected that somehow
13 the MSS clamping with iptables doesn't work, that wasn't the problem
14 either, because even with all tables flushed and only IP MASQUERADING in
15 place the problem was there.
16
17 I finally found a bug report that explains the symtom:
18
19 http://www.spinics.net/lists/netdev/msg280571.html
20
21 I then downgraded the kernel to 3.13.11, which fixed the problem. So,
22 all of you guys using your Gentoo PC as your internet gateway, keep
23 3.13.11 around for a while.
26 Timur