From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: ECC-ram, it is worth it.
Date: Thu, 31 Jul 2014 16:41:16
1 Am 31.07.2014 12:37, schrieb Frank Steinmetzger:
2 > On Wed, Jul 30, 2014 at 12:50:54AM +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 >
4 >>>>> Is ECC memory a drop-in replacement for ordinary RAM, or does it need
5 >>>>> a special motherboard?
6 >>> [...]
7 >>> I would have liked the aspect of a system that tells me when something goes
8 >>> wrong, but there seems no such thing for my requirements. So I must help
9 >>> myself with file checksums when dealing with my archive disks.
10 >> I don't know about AMD's APUs but AFAIK all CPUs using the AM2/AM3
11 >> socket support it.
12 >>
13 > Hm... unfortunately, if I were to go the AMD route, I would get an FM2(+)
14 > APU. Also, I'm looking for something smaller than ATX. Interestingly enough,
15 > the product comparison site that I use does not mention ECC for the Asus
16 > board that was stated in the other recent post. :'(
17 >
18 > Oh well, what is a world without dreams.
19
20 so go to the asus site and look up the specs there.
21
22 AM3 processors support ECC, FM2 AFAIK don't, Opterons, no matter what
23 socket do. Easy.