From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Separate /usr [was: Clock is way off]
Date: Wed, 09 May 2007 22:02:15
1 On Wednesday 09 May 2007 22:22, Boyd Stephen Smith Jr. wrote:
2 > On Wednesday 09 May 2007, Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote
3 >
4 > about 'Re: [gentoo-user] Separate /usr [was: Clock is way off]':
5 > > Hello Daniel Iliev,
6 > >
7 > > > Some say it gives performance boost (I'm not sure about it), but more
8 > > > importantly it gives (partial) protection from file system damage.
9 > >
10 > > You could also argue that /usr needs the least protection from
11 > > filesystem damage, because it contains no data. /usr can be repaired
12 > > with
13 > > a reinstall, unlike /var, /home or /etc.
14 >
15 > That's my view, which is why /usr (fast, RAID0) is separate from /
16 > (containing /etc; RAID6) on my machine.
17
18 These days I keep /usr/portage on a separate partition to minimise fs
19 fragmentation. On an old slooow box of mine I have /usr/local/bin
20 and /usr/local/lib on separate disks, as well as /var/tmp and /usr/bin and
21 keep them on primary partitions for extra speed and parallel
22 access/processing across two different IDE controllers:
23
24 http://tldp.org/HOWTO/Multi-Disk-HOWTO.html
25
26 One can get really silly at this, I certainly did, but on modern machines with
27 SATA drives the difference in speed is probably marginal. I didn't keep
28 notes of any benchmarks but despite the asthmatic hardware my
29 multi-disk/partitioning scheme did pay some noticeable dividends as far as I
30 can recall. Of course, YMMV.
31 --
32 Regards,
33 Mick