From: Ashley Dixon <ash@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] pcre install failure
Date: Tue, 06 Oct 2020 07:19:53
1 On Tue, Oct 06, 2020 at 02:34:22AM -0400, Jude DaShiell wrote:
2 > Hi Ashley,
3
4 Hi Jude,
5
6 > Changing -j2 to -j1 in /etc/portage/make.conf is doing the trick! The
7 > amd64 southbridge system I use was built in 2007 so I maybe also ought to
8 > have used noapic in my boot parameters too since this system is old enough
9
10 Ah, I was hoping it was as simple as that! Parallelism with Make can spit out
11 the most opaque and peculiar problems; they really should have a small note
12 appended to emerge's failure message regarding this, as it causes so many odd
13 issues.
14
15 As for disabling APIC, I'm not certain whether it will serve as a more permanent
16 solution for this particular issue or not. It's worth a try, I suppose, although
17 I am gravely doubtful. Which motherboard and CPU do you have? AMD licenced
18 Intel's APIC for their Athlon series and onwards, the debut of which was over an
19 entire decade after your 2007 processor.
20
21 > it owes nobody a thing.
22
23 Despite what seems to be the modern consensus, electronic components should not
24 break beyond repair for no reason. I have an original 1974 rotary telephone sat
25 next to me and it still works perfectly (until British Telecom turns off support
26 for pulse dialling in 2025, the bastards); albeit, it is slightly more straight-
27 forward than a processor. ;-)
28
29 Anyway, try disabling APCI, re-enable Make parallelism, and get back to us. I
30 doubt it will do much with regards to compilation, although you never know with
31 "-j N". LOL.
35 Ashley Dixon
36 suugaku.co.uk
39 DA96 D18A