From: darren kirby <bulliver@×××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] cp: cannot stat 'arch/i386/kernel/bzImage': No such file or directory
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2006 22:30:51
1 quoth the Neil Bothwick:
2 > On Fri, 15 Sep 2006 21:53:18 +0200, Norman Rieß wrote:
3 > > Also my kernel isn´t in arch/i386/kernel/bzImage but in
4 > > arch/i386/boot/bzImage.
5 >
6 > "make install" would have copied the kernel without all this hassle.
7
8 Well, not much of a hassle if he had just gotten the path right...
9
10 I seem to recall getting bitten in the past by 'make install'. I think it
11 overwrote my existing kernel, and insisted on running lilo (I use grub). I
12 have just moved it manually since.
13
14 I just had a look at 'make help':
15
16 install - Install kernel using
17 (your) ~/bin/installkernel or
18 (distribution) /sbin/installkernel or
19 install to $(INSTALL_PATH) and run lilo
20
21 Gentoo does have a /sbin/installkernel but it seems to be designed for Debian.
22 Can you confirm then that this works fine on Gentoo and does _not_ try to run
23 lilo? I can see myself it appends a version number so it should not overwrite
24 an older kernel... maybe I will write my own ~/bin/installkernel, so it can
25 update my grub.conf manually.
26
27 -d
28 --
29 darren kirby :: Part of the problem since 1976 :: http://badcomputer.org
30 "...the number of UNIX installations has grown to 10, with more expected..."
31 - Dennis Ritchie and Ken Thompson, June 1972
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list