From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] OT:Choosing a filesystem
Date: Fri, 02 Apr 2010 22:03:24
1 On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 4:55 PM, Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com> wrote:
2 > On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 2:49 PM, Paul Hartman
3 > <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >> On Fri, Apr 2, 2010 at 2:50 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
5 >> <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
6 >>> On Freitag 02 April 2010, Neil Bothwick wrote:
7 >>>> On Fri, 2 Apr 2010 20:40:54 +0200, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
8 >>>> > > LVM and RAID are completely different animals. No one suggested using
9 >>>> > > it for any reasons of data security, running LVM on a RAID array
10 >>>> > > gives both security and flexibility. As for being able to add space
11 >>>> > > to RAID, you can't temporarily add a new volume whenever you want,
12 >>>> > > you have to go out and buy another drive, then power down the
13 >>>> > > computer to fit it, assuming there is room in the case for an extra
14 >>>> > > drive.
15 >>>> >
16 >>>> > no need to power down - and you can add and remove drives. Read man
17 >>>> > mdadm.
18 >>>>
19 >>>> Assuming your controller supports hotplugging, assuming you have a drive
20 >>>> available to plug in, assuming you are able to physically add a drive.
21 >>>
22 >>> sata can hotplug. all ahci controlers can hotplug and all sata drives can
23 >>> hotplug. If you insist on technology straight from the stone ages that is your
24 >>> problem.
25 >>
26 >> Do you know if it's necessary to signal to the system (like /proc/scsi
27 >> something) that I'm about to unplug the drive, and in which order the
28 >> power/data need to be disconnected to prevent a problem? I'm curious
29 >> in case of future need. :)
30 >>
31 >> Thanks.
32 >
33 > If it's part of a RAID the new one gets rebuilt.
34 >
35 > If it's not part of a RAID then I think, as per Neil's example, the
36 > computer is pretty much dead, right? However if you wanted to try it
37 > (and I'm not brave enough so don't listen to me) then you might want
38 > to do something like
39 >
40 > grep -A 1 dirty /proc/vmstat
41 >
42 > and wait until nothing is dirty.
43 >
44 > Just an idea,
45
46 Well, forgetting about RAID and bad drives, I should be able to
47 unmount a normal, working SATA drive and unplug it safely, just like
48 with a USB hard drive. I just don't know if you have to signal to
49 SATA/AHCI that you're going to unplug (like with old hot-swappable
50 SCSI drives), or if you need to unplug data cable before unplugging
51 the power cable, for example.