From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Formating a USB stick
Date: Thu, 08 Oct 2009 22:22:25
1 On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 4:23 PM, Volker Armin Hemmann
2 <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com> wrote:
3 > On Donnerstag 08 Oktober 2009, Paul Hartman wrote:
4 >> On Thu, Oct 8, 2009 at 3:25 PM, Frank Steinmetzger <Warp_7@×××.de> wrote:
5 >> > Am Donnerstag, 8. Oktober 2009 schrieb Mick:
6 >> >> What's the best way to reformat a USB stick? It currently shows this in
7 >> >
8 >> > I remember from SD cards that formatting them with Linux often was to no
9 >> > avail - Windows wouldn't recognise them, neither with the fs on the
10 >> > device itself, nor with a partition for the fs.
11 >> > So in the end I formatted them in Windows, and all was fine. :-/
12 >>
13 >> With SD cards, often times there are no partitions. So if you create
14 >> proper partitions sometimes it won't read in other devices/computers.
15 >> (in linux terms that means you would format /dev/sda not /dev/sda1)
18 > I have seen a lot of sd cards - anmd they all had a 'real' table with one
19 > partition - sdX1.
20 >
21 > Except for cards that were removed from devices without shutdown/unmounting
22 > first. In that case linux was not able to find a valid partition table.
23
24 Could be I am getting confused in my old age. :) I have RS-MMC card
25 that I use with an SD adapter, and that has no partition, so maybe
26 that's what I'm thinking about.
27
28 In general I try to format my cards on the device I plan to use them
29 with the most. So if it's mostly used in Windows, format it in
30 Windows, if it's used in my phone, or my camera, format in that
31 device.