From: lee <lee@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] xterm menu
Date: Mon, 19 Dec 2016 20:57:32
1 Jorge Almeida <jjalmeida@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On Mon, Dec 19, 2016 at 10:46 AM, lee <lee@××××××××.de> wrote:
4 >
5 >>>
6 >> I'm using fvwm. I was having trouble with xterm once when I still used
7 >> Fedora, and though I'm not sure, results might be different with
8 >> different WMs (I seem to remember something about that).
9 >
10 > I tried fvwm and there was no difference. Not a WM problem. Never
11 > thought it would be, really.
12 >
13 > It is a voodoo (i.e. fonts) problem. Things work for me now, with -fp
14 > in the Xserver command line and /usr/share/fonts/Type1/ before
15 > /usr/share/fonts/misc/. I would prefer to understand what happens
16 > rather than blindly apply a fix, but anyway.
17
18 Does xterm use different fonts for the menu depending on in which order
19 the directories appear in the font path?
22 > [...]
23 >> perl -e 'print "$_\n" foreach(split(/,/, "/usr/share/fonts/misc/,/usr/share/fonts/TTF/,/usr/share/fonts/OTF/,/usr/share/fonts/Type1/,/usr/share/fonts/100dpi/,/usr/share/fonts/75dpi/,built-ins"));' | xargs ls
24 >>
25 >> ... shows files in each directory, except 'built-ins', of course.
28 >> That brings up the question if there is some alternative to perls split
29 >> in coreutils or bash. The split of coreutils appears to be supposed to
30 >> be doing something rather useless?
31 >>
32 > Well, let's use Perl, by all means :) BTW, what does the busybox version do?
33
34 Sure, yet it can't be the only way for doing this.