From: Jerry McBride <mcbrides9@×××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: {OT} CUPS alternative?
Date: Sun, 03 Feb 2008 03:19:29
1 On Saturday 02 February 2008 08:42:25 pm Grant wrote:
2 > > > port-knocking is the biggest load of fud (Microsoft products apart) I
3 > > > have heard about in ages. The term snake-oil comes to mind, as
4 > > > does "security by obscurity and obfuscation" which we all know is no
5 > > > security at all.
6 > >
7 > > Uhm. Security by obscurity is not good because it hides something *that
8 > > is known for sure to be there*. Port knocking, on the other hand, makes
9 > > a computer appear as if nothing is there. No open ports.
10 > > A computer with all ports closed which uses portknocking and a computer
11 > > with just all ports closed cannot be told apart from remote, either by
12 > > portscanning or whatever mean. What the attacker sees is just "no open
13 > > ports". It could, of course, imagine that port knocking might be in use,
14 > > but even in that case, he would have to discover the knock sequence.
15 > > With a knock sequence long enough (say, 8 ports), the likeliness of such
16 > > a discovery is really low (1/65535^8 in this case). And, even if he
17 > > succeeds, he just opens a port (as if there was no portknocking), and
18 > > still has to violate whatever security measure is in place for the
19 > > service (eg, ssh authentication).
20 > >
21 > > > I don't care if the originating process knocks on the well known port
22 > > > with gold plated gloves hand braided from the finest Unobtainium by
23 > > > seductive alluring Puerto Rican virgins, the receiving machine still
24 > > > has to open another port short thereafter. This is not a magic port
25 > > > and is not wrapped in Star Trek's finest stealth cloak, it's a port
26 > > > that does TCP/IP stuff.
27 > > >
28 > > > If the end process listening on the newly opened port is in any way
29 > > > weak - and this is the only possible reason anyone would ever try the
30 > > > port knocking workaround - it's just as weak when it's listening on an
31 > > > obfuscated port number.
32 > >
33 > > This is not true, for at least two reasons:
34 > >
35 > > - the port stays open only for the duration of the connection, not all
36 > > the time;
37 > >
38 > > - at least with some implementations, the port is opened *only to the IP
39 > > address of the user who did the knock*, not to the whole world.
40 > >
41 > > > If it's open, I can find it. If it's weak, I can get in. Then it's game
42 > > > over, go home, I win.
43 > >
44 > > See above.
45 > >
46 > > > I've yet to hear positive things about port knocking from someone who
47 > > > actually implemented it fully. In truth it's just a major pain in the
48 > > > arse that makes the admin's life miserable and gives the boss a warm
49 > > > fuzzy feeling based on hot air.
50 > >
51 > > I don't know about large setups, where it might be very possible that
52 > > port knocking becomes a major PITA as you say. But I have setup and used
53 > > port knocking for remote ssh access lots of time in the past, and never
54 > > had a problem. This is just my little experience, of course.
55 >
56 > OK, port knocking is going back on the todo list.
57 >
58 > - Grant
59
60 Wow... that was easy...