From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Open Source DSP tools for learning?
Date: Sat, 08 May 2010 17:58:18
1 On Sat, May 8, 2010 at 6:21 AM, luis jure <ljc@××××××××××××.uy> wrote:
2 > on 2010-05-06 at 07:31 Mark Knecht wrote:
3 >
4 >>   Does anyone possibly know of any tools in Open Source for exploring
5 >>DSP filter design? Something that might allow me to write equations,
6 >>stimulate the filter, see the results in a GUI?
7 >
8 > i guess a general scientific tool like octave (a free alternative to
9 > matlab, the de facto standard among scientists) would do all you may
10 > possibly want to do, although learning the language might require some
11 > time. i don't know of any "ready-to-go" tool for dsp where you just put
12 > the coefficients and you get the poles, impulse and frequency response,
13 > etc. i would be very interested if anyone knows such tool.
14 >
15 > if you want to work with audio, you can easily program any filter in
16 > csound or any other software synthesis language, like pd, common lisp
17 > music or whatever (i know csound). then you can "see the results" using
18 > an analyser/visualiser like sonic-visualiser, for example.
21 Hi Luis,
22 Thanks. Octave is something I'm looking at. It's clearly able to
23 model things like DSP filter response (both steady state as well as
24 impulse) but it doesn't seem like the right tool to actually learn
25 about doing DSP filter design.
26
27 Someone else on another list suggested Faust but it's apparently
28 squirreled away in yet another overlay so I haven't bothered to load
29 it yet.
30
31 It turns out for actual design just using the web might be one of
32 the better ways for me to go about this. There are lots of sites that
33 allow me to enter the characteristics I'm looking for and then give
34 back the results in z-transform, C code and other ways. Those look
35 fairly easy to transfer to code I can run.
36
37 I appreciate your ideas.
38
39 Cheers,