From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] filesystems
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 2008 20:40:44
1 On Tuesday 25 November 2008 21:24:48 Jorge Peixoto de Morais Neto wrote:
2 > I have no expertise to decide on that matter,
3 > but the fact that pretty much every linux distribution chooses ext3 by
4 > default suggests it is the safest (at least for simple desktop/laptop
5 > usage), no?
6
7 I don't think that has anything to do with performance or safety. Instead:
8
9 1. Red Hat suffers from a serious case of Not Invented Here Syndrome. They do
10 good work, but they have that little eccentricity too. ReiserFS was funded in
11 large part by SuSE, therefore RH are ill-inclined to use it. Many distros
12 follow Red Hat's lead, very few go with SuSE to wherever SuSE is going. Who
13 knows why Debian made their choice - it' s probably as simple as ext3 traces
14 it roots back much further than Reiser can
15
16 2. NameSys was largely driven by the fame (infamy?) of it's owner - a typical
17 mad scientist geek who writes excellent code. But he got himself in jail and
18 the risk associated with using his filesystem sans reliable know maintainer
19 is too great a risk for most distros
22 alan dot mckinnon at gmail dot com