From: Matthias Hanft <mh@×××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: PHP, Haru, Ghostscript, Courier, and Nimbus
Date: Mon, 07 Nov 2022 19:19:26
1 Grant Edwards wrote:
2 >
3 > Nobody said anything about embedding Courier. You said the problem
4 > happened when the "Nimbus" font was used, so it was suggested you
5 > embed the "Nimbus" font.
6
7 But I don't want to use / embed the Nimbus font at all!
8
9 libharu is called by HaruDoc::getFont('Courier', 'WinAnsiEncoding')
10
11 This *does* work - the font *is* Courier when you look at the PDF.
12
13 But -
14 - until ghostscript 9.55, in the PDF font properties, the font
15 was correctly named "Courier" so that every PDF reader could
16 display it;
17 - from ghostscript 9.56, in the PDF font properties, the font
18 is named "Nimbus" instead of "Courier", and some PDF readers
19 have problems to display.
20
21 The only "Nimbus reference" I have found is a line in the file
22 /usr/share/ghostscript/9.56.1/Resource/Init/Fontmap.GS which reads
23
24 /Courier /NimbusMonoPS-Regular ;
25
26 but this line is the same in gs 9.55 and 9.56. So I don't understand
27 what/why has changed here.
28
29 BTW, I now have tried to embed truetype fonts. Seems to work
30 (although the character outline is thinner, overall more "pale").
31 File size increases from 29K to 121K - would be OK for me...
32
33 -Matt