From: "Jesús Guerrero" <i92guboj@×××××.es>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo's advantage: 'optimized for your system' -- huh?
Date: Wed, 04 Feb 2009 09:58:13
1 El Mar, 3 de Febrero de 2009, 23:39, Grant Edwards escribió:
2 > Whenever I see a write-up of Gentoo, it's describe as a system
3 > similar to BSD "ports" where you build packages from source. The main
4 > benefit claimed for this approach is that you get better performance
5 > because all executables are optimized for exactly the right instruction
6 > set.
7 >
8 > Where did that bit of apocrypha come from, and why is it
9 > parroted by so many people?
10
11 There are parrots in all the social groups. That doesn't mean
12 that there aren't skilled users that see the real benefit. The
13 difference is that skilled users (or simply those that use the
14 system for real advantages and not due to some parrot axiom
15 like this one) don't go echoing how normal they are all around.
16
17 The result is that you only hear parrots, but that doesn't mean
18 they are the whole nor even the majority of a given community.
19
20 > AFAICT, the "performance" benefit due to compiler optimization
21 > is practically nil in real-world usage.
22 >
23 > In my experience the huge benefit of source-based distros such
24 > as Gentoo is elimination of the library dependency-hell that mires other
25 > binary-based distros.
26
27 Yes. I wholeheartedly agree with you here. USE flags they are.
28 And I love this part of Gentoo.
29
30 > The second benefit is that with Gentoo, upgrading a system
31 > actually works over the long-run. With RedHat/Mandrake, things would
32 > gradually deteriorate to the point where the system was unmaintainable,
33 > but attempting to upgrade between major releases was always futile. I've
34 > had Gentoo machines that have been upgraded for 4-5 years without any
35 > significant problems (failed hard-drives don't count).
36
37 Those who reinstall do it for various reasons. Some are legit (ie.
38 migration from x86 to amd64), some are just hobbyist stuff (most
39 of the times). And some people reinstall because they do all kind
40 of colorful things that break the system to an unusable state.
41 Gentoo is easy to break if you don't read the manuals and are
42 unable to put a minimal degree of common sense behind your actions.
43
44 That's the dark side of the force. However, I love it.
45
46 > The third main benefit I've seen is that there are vastly more
47 > packages available for Gentoo. Putting together and maintaining an ebuild
48 > appears to take a lot less work than putting together and maintaining a
49 > binary RPM package.
50
51 Ditto. And upgrading is usually as easy as to use cp to created
52 a new version.
53
54 A big big advantage is that besides the huge number of packages
55 that we have, we also have dozens of overlays. Some of which are for
56 very specific tasks, and some of them are really bug.
57
58 Performance is just as good as with any other distro, as long as
59 both are configured in the same -read sane- way. No distro can make
60 your pc 200% faster, only a new $$mobo-cpu-ram$$ combo can do that.
63 Jesús Guerrero