From: Jack <ostroffjh@×××××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] UEFI booting again
Date: Mon, 12 Oct 2020 00:26:29
1 On 10/11/20 7:37 PM, Jude DaShiell wrote:
2 > If you followed the handbook /dev/sda2 would be where the boot record lives.
3
4 I don't think so, but the terminology is certainly confusing. Peter
5 asked where efibootmgr writes something.  What is on /dev/sda2 could be
6 grub.cfg if it were mounted at /boot, and the grub booting stub (I
7 forget the correct name, but grubx64.efi) might be on /dev/sda2 if it
8 were mounted at /boot/EFI.  However, efibootmgr doesn't mess with either
9 of those.  It deals with what is stored in the UEFI boot firmware.  That
10 entry, which is read by the UEFI at boot time, runs the entry in the EFI
11 disk partition (usually under /boot/EFI), which then runs the kernel
12 (and possibly initramfs) in /boot.  Unfortunately, "boot record" is
13 probably too general a term.
14
15 Jack
16