From: William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo speed comparison to other distros
Date: Thu, 14 Mar 2013 09:14:32
1 Did this few years back for an online magazine sponsored by a local
2 linux sysadmin company who wanted to see the difference between generic
3 debian and optimised (not necessarily gentoo, but thats what I used.)
4
5 Difference in times was ~10% across the board for graphics manipulations
6 (gimp scripts), spreadsheet tasks (gnumeric) and the like.
7
8 The "kicker" - simple optimisations gained far, far more than generic
9 compiler settings. e.g., initially, the gnumeric versions were slightly
10 different, with some wild times across the tasks. Make em the same
11 version (and cuedos to the gnumeric maintainer for jumping in and
12 helping diagnose/fix the problem - newer version on gentoo was heaps
13 slower :) and there was little difference.
14
15 Shared libs like glibc didnt make a huge difference, but being smart
16 about how/what a "particular" task was handled gained more. If a debian
17 app was compiled with similar options as to gentoo, little difference
18 between them in performance which considering shared libs etc wasn't
19 what I expected.
20
21 The intel compilers are/were said to be a lot better than gcc, not sure
22 if the gap is still there (supposedly 20% better again)
23
24 Its how long is a piece of string kind of question if considered OS
25 wide, but pick a narrow task and optimise away with smart programmers
26 and you will do well on almost anything.
27
28 Big advantage of gentoo - configurability, version control (what version
29 is installed and changing it at short notice) and general flexibility.
30
31 10 % on software is a lot better than forking out $$$ on faster hardware
32 to do that (as gamers do!), but at the end of the day, I can also make
33 my car go faster by painting the diff red (urban myth/joke from my
34 hotrodding days:) and see roughly the same performance boost - i.e.,
35 probably wont notice it in real life)
36
37 BillK