From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Firefox/Watefox and jack?
Date: Tue, 05 May 2020 18:01:59
1 Mark Knecht wrote:
4 > On Tue, May 5, 2020 at 9:43 AM Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com
5 > <mailto:rdalek1967@×××××.com>> wrote:
6 > >
7 > <SNIP>
8 > >
9 > > Question, somewhat off topic but somewhat on topic.  I use smplayer
10 > to send my videos to my TV using the second port on my video card.  I
11 > set smplayer to send the audio to the TV, instead of my puter
12 > speakers.  I've never used pulseaudio but with Firefox heading down
13 > that path, I might have to switch.  My question is, if I switched to
14 > pulseaudio, can I tell it that smplayer goes to TV and things like
15 > Firefox, Seamonkey, gnome-player and such goes to the puter speakers?
16 > From what I've read, it sounds like that is pretty much what it does.
17 > Right now, I'm using ALSA, Kmix and friends.
18 > >
19 > Short answer - yes, I believe so.
20 >
21 > Long answer - I don't know how much pulseaudio will remember settings
22 > from session to session. If you emerge pavucontrol (kubuntu installs
23 > it by default, it appears Gentoo requires you to add it. On my system
24 > it's pavucontrol-qt) you should see something akin to this, assuming
25 > this link survives email
26 >
27 > https://drive.google.com/open?id=1B_Rgaomiru0DNmuTFUwZy-9q5p4SGo_L
28 >
29 > Each app has a section, each section can be routed where you please.
30 > Each section has a horizontal VU meter so you can see where audio is
31 > coming from.
32 >
33 > If you use pulseaudio then it owns the Alsa stack. You no longer
34 > communicate with Alsa using the old apps. In the general case I
35 > believe that alsamixer continues to work but I wouldn't bet on that
36 > for all systems and all soundcards.
37 >
38 > HTH,
39 > Mark
42 That makes some sense.  I did a pretend with the USE flag enabled on the
43 command line just to see what all it would re-emerge and pull in as
44 deps.  The package you mentioned is pulled in so that should had some
45 function.
48 [ebuild  N     ] media-sound/pavucontrol-qt-0.14.1
51 I notice KDE pulls in a new package or two as well that are some sort of
52 control functions.  Of course, it rebuilds several packages with the
53 flag change as well.
54
55 I may give that a try.  When I first heard of it, it was pretty buggy
56 since it was fairly new.  It seems that those bugs were stomped on and
57 from more recent info, it is pretty stable and works well.
58
59 Thanks for the info.  Helps me to decide whether to dive in or to stay
60 out of the water.  lol
61
62 Dale
63