From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Gentoo's advantage: "optimized for your system" -- huh?
Date: Thu, 05 Feb 2009 15:53:03
1 On Thu, 5 Feb 2009 15:26:30 +0000 (UTC), Grant Edwards wrote:
2
3 > If you can spend a week installing Gentoo, it's not a problem.
4 > If you need to have a machine up and running in an hour, it's a
5 > problem. Building OOo on the last install I did took well over
6 > 30 hours.
7
8 The GRP packages were certainly useful for that. I installed Gentoo on an
9 iBook, including a full KDE desktop, in a little over an hour.
10 But that was several years ago,when GRP CDs were available. Of course, it
11 wasn't optimised to my needs, but changing the USE flags and an emerge
12 -e world (while the computer was in use) fixed that. Compiling that lot
13 on a 1GHz G4 took over a day, about 2 days when you included OOo.
17 Neil Bothwick
18
19 WinErr 003: Dynamic linking error - Your mistake is now in every file