From: "Stefan G. Weichinger" <lists@×××××.at>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] CFLAGS for Pentium Dual Core E2160 ?
Date: Sat, 10 Nov 2007 19:26:38
1 Bo Ørsted Andresen schrieb:
2 > On Sat, Nov 10, 2007 at 02:18:46PM +0000, David W Noon wrote:
3 >> If you change the CHOST, CFLAGS and CXXFLAGS variables, then do:
4 >> emerge -e system
5 >> emerge -e world
6 >> you will have converted everything except your kernel to 64-bit.
7 >
8 > Clearly you are completely clueless. Do *NOT* do this. It will break your
9 > system. It is not possible to run any 64 bit code with a 32 bit kernel. There
10 > is a guide [1] you must follow very carefully if you ever need to change your
11 > CHOST between two x86 CHOSTs. Even that has potential to break your system if
12 > you are not careful. If you need to switch from an x86 CHOST to an x86_64 CHOST
13 > there is no sane method short of a reinstall.
14
15 Yup, this is why I will leave CHOST untouched for now.
16
17 Maybe I will give it a try on another hdd and try to do a fresh install
18 of x86_64 on that E2160, if the winter is long and boring ;-)
19
20 I also still don't think if running 64 Bit makes any sense at all when
21 it comes to running a mythtv-box ... it would *maybe* make some sense on
22 my workhorse, a E6600 with 4 gigs of RAM.
23
24 A minor q related to E2160:
25
26 Should I choose "Core2" in my kernel-configuration for that processor?
27 Where do I find out these things? In the kernel-sources?
28
29 I noticed along the way that I still have "Pentium 4" in there, due to
30 the fact of having migrated from a P4-board.
31
32 Thanks, Stefan
33 --
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list