From: PaulNM <gentoo@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] emerge output confusion regarding upgradeable packages
Date: Mon, 12 May 2008 07:49:34
1 Alan McKinnon wrote:
4 > This is expected behaviour.
5 >
6 > The three packages you mention are not in world and thus don't form part
7 > of the initial search. Even though you are using -uN, nothing in world
8 > *requires* specifically those updated/latest versions, so they never
9 > make it into the dependency tree as a suitable version is already
10 > installed.
11
12 I think the end of my message was a little confusing, if you look
13 earlier, you'll see I'm using "--deep". (emerge -pv --update --deep
14 --newuse world)
17 > When you add -t though, you clear out the dependency tree, fooling
18 > portage into thinking the packages are not installed. dnspython,
19 > xcursorgen and yasm are needed and not installed so portage does the
20 > normal thing of selecting the latest versions that match your rules
21 > in /etc/portage
24 I think you mean -e (--emptytree) here. Using -t (--tree) just adds a
25 whole bunch of stuff to help you see what is pulling in particular
26 packages. I seem to recall at one time using -e actually showed all
27 packages as N (new), but now it seems to indicate their current status
28 (R for replace).
31 According to the emerge man page, "-u" (--update) will update the
32 specified set and its direct dependencies. "-d" (--deep) will update the
33 specified set and its entire dependency tree (dependencies of its
34 dependencies, and so on). My final comment was simply noting that two
35 of the three were direct dependencies and should show up with just -u.
36 In any case, they should all show up with -d.
41 PaulNM
42 --
43 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list