From: meino.cramer@×××.de
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Curiosity...
Date: Sun, 30 Jan 2011 05:39:05
1 William Kenworthy <billk@×××××××××.au> [11-01-30 06:28]:
2 > On Sat, 2011-01-29 at 16:09 +0100, Volker Armin Hemmann wrote:
3 > > On Saturday 29 January 2011 06:33:39 Mark Knecht wrote:
4 > > > On Sat, Jan 29, 2011 at 6:18 AM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
5 > > > > Hi,
6 > > > >
7 > > > > when listing my hardware with lshw I find some stuff build
8 > > > > into my ASUS Crosshair IV Formula, which I seem not to use
9 > > > > and I like to know, for what it is good for:
10 > > >
11 > > > > These are excerpts from the output of lshw:
12 > > > <SNIP>
13 > > >
14 > > > > but...for what reason there is an audio device in my graphics card?
15 > > > > Sounds to me like a bicycle with onboard toaster... ;)
16 > > >
17 > > > I love the picture, however it is more likely for things like audio over
18 > > > HDMI..
19 > > >
20 > > > > for the smbus thingy as for the ISA-bridge there no additional info. For
21 > > > > what reason there is an ISA bridge on a board which skipped floppy
22 > > > > controller and IDE???
23 > > >
24 > > > The ISA stuff is likely for historical conformance to the PC
25 > > > architecture. Not sure if modern motherboards use it anymore, but
26 > > > maybe they do.
27 > > >
28 > >
29 > > they do.
30 > > http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Low_Pin_Count
31 > >
32 > > > IIRC the smbus is involved in power switch stuff. It's not unlike I2C
33 > > > but more simple.
34 > >
35 > > also the spd-eeprom on your memory modules can be accessed via smbus. And some
36 > > kinds of sensors chips. And a lot more.
37 > >
38 > I have a new Jetway atom N330 board with an nvidia ION chipset with
39 > builtin CIR (Common Infra Red) controller accessed via the LPC and
40 > nvidia chipset. A pig to get to work on gentoo, but it does work.
41 >
42 > So yes, in use even on the latest motherboards :)
43 >
44 > BillK
47 Hi BillK,
48
49 would you give me a hint in what direction to drive for this ?
50
51 Best regards,
52 mcc