From: App Deb <appdebgr@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Best way to improve interactivity with heavy disk activity?
Date: Sun, 28 Nov 2010 18:54:38
1 On Sun, Nov 28, 2010 at 7:39 PM, walt <w41ter@×××××.com> wrote:
2
3 > I'm confused about which of all these various mechanisms apply to single-cpu
4 > machines.  AFAICT Con's BFS (e.g.) is really a CPU scheduler and doesn't
5 > affect
6 > single-cpu machines very much.  What about CFQ and group scheduling?
7 >  Others?
8 >
9 > Thanks for any clues.
10
11 Don't mix them,
12
13 CFS --> upstream official CPU scheduler (also supports cgroups, that
14 got used in the 200line patch, which is useless imo)
15 CFQ --> upstream official I/O (disk) scheduler (afaik the only one
16 that supports "ionice")
19 BFS --> ck's CPU scheduler
20 (I don't know what i/o scheduler ck's patchset uses)
23 Anyway, the problem with the long pauses under disk usage is not
24 related to any scheduler at all, and it is a "page cache management"
25 problem that the linux kernel has (in all new versions).
26
27 CK's patchset includes optimizations to page cache management. (Not
28 related to any scheduler) so it is worth a try. That's it.