From: Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Troubleshooting mounting local filesystems
Date: Sun, 31 Dec 2017 16:28:09
1 On 12/30/17 19:32, Adam Carter wrote:
2 > On Sun, Dec 31, 2017 at 2:22 PM, Daniel Frey <djqfrey@×××××.com
3 > <mailto:djqfrey@×××××.com>> wrote:
4 >
5 > Some background:
6 >
7 > A little while back I had a drive drop out of my hardware RAID. I
8 > don't think this has anything to do with the problem I'm having, but
9 > I thought I should mention it. The RAID health is fine and I can see
10 > there's not any delay in dmesg (the RAID array is detected as /dev/sdc).
11 >
12 > On startup, I share the RAID, and hence I mount it locally under
13 > /mnt, then again under /nfs4exports.
14 >
15 > Note: I'm using openrc.
16 >
17 > For some reason, the entry under /mnt does not mount on startup.
18 > There's no error or any indication of anything going wrong during
19 > startup (nothing in dmesg or /var/log/messages regarding any sort of
20 > mount trouble.)
21 >
22 > So what happens is nfs starts up but it's missing the one export. I
23 > have to stop nfs, unmount the entry under /nfs4exports, unmount the
24 > entry under /mnt, then mount /dev/sdc1 to /mnt, the mount the entry
25 > under /nfs4exports. After this, everything is mounted properly and I
26 > restart nfs.
27 >
28 > I looked at the /etc/init.d/localmount script and it's supposed to
29 > spit out a message if something cannot mount but it does not report
30 > any error.
31 >
32 > Is there any sort of logging I can enable to tell me exactly what's
33 > happening? Other local filesystems (total of three) all mount fine.
34 >
35 > What does the fstab entry look like?
36 >
37
38 The fstab entry is just:
39
40 /dev/sdc1 /mnt/raid ext4 noatime 0 0
41
42 The first thing I did was check localmount and it is in the boot
43 runlevel (some snipped):
44
45 # rc-update show boot
46 ....
47 localmount | boot
48 ....
49
50 Other filesystems mounted OK.
51
52 It does list as started:
53 # rc-status boot
54 Runlevel: boot
55 localmount [ started ]
56
57
58 > Can you cut and paste the terminal session of the post boot fixes?
59
60 What are you asking for here?
61
62 Part of the problem is I restart this machine so infrequently I usually
63 forget about the mounting problems until I try to access it remotely.
64
65 Dan