From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Confessional: how I generally use emerge.
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2016 17:41:53
1 Neil Bothwick wrote:
4 > Why ask the same question again when you got an answer last time?
5 >
6 > Hint: look at the output for asciidoc.
7 > --
8 > Sent from my Android phone with K-9 Mail. Please excuse my brevity.
9
10 I have to add this. From what I understand about the scripts he is
11 using, he is blindly letting emerge do updates without checking to see
12 if the updates fall into line with what he *needs*. If I read it
13 correctly, any USE flag change will be missed until it hits the fan and
14 is broken. That would then mean taking a lot of time to go back through
15 logs and figuring out just when it went wrong and most importantly, what
16 caused it and how to fix it. Since the change could have happened
17 several updates ago, that could involve some work and a lot of rebuilding.
18
19 Doing the sync in a script and even getting a email or something with
20 the -p output is fine but updating blindly is not a good idea.
21
22 At this point, I think I understand why he is having so much trouble.
23 At the very least, check to see what USE flags are changing before doing
24 updates. There are other things that are important but that is one that
25 changes a good bit.
26
27 Dale
28