From: Neil Bothwick <neil@××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] how to generate a kernel that is like -x86_64
Date: Thu, 09 Sep 2021 21:03:37
1 On Thu, 09 Sep 2021 15:31:12 -0400, Jack wrote:
2
3 > > On 9/9/21 1:18 PM, thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
4 > > > how to generate a kernel that is like: vmlinuz-5.4.97-gentoo-x86_64
5 > > >
6 > > My kernel looks like vmlinuz-5.4.97-gentoo and it I think it should
7 > > be: vmlinuz-5.4.97-gentoo-x86_64
8
9 Have you tried renaming the file manually to see if it makes a difference?
10
11 > > im pretty sure this is the problem because after i select the option
12 > > on grub im stuck on the next screen that says its loading the kernel
13 > > commands
14 > > but im pretty sure ive run into this problem before and i need to
15 > > generate the config so that it says x86_64 on the end i just dont
16 > > remember how
17 > Does it say it's loading the kernel commands, or just that it's loading
18 > the kernel?
19 >
20 > The name of the kernel file is essentially arbitraty, although there
21 > are certainly conventions. What is important is that grub knows the
22 > correct name to use.
23
24 AFAIR, grub-mkconfig looks for files named vmlinuz-version, so while it
25 is not arbitrary when auto-generating the GRUB config, the name here
26 should be fine.
27
28 I suspect the issue is with either the contents of the kernel or the
29 parameters you pass it, rather than the suffix of the file name.
33 Neil Bothwick
34
35 0 and 1. Now what could be so hard about that?